Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Dry Grass of August

By: Anna Jean Mayhew

This book is set in the South in the 1950's. Jubie and her family, sans her dad, are going to visit their Uncle in Florida. Like most families they bring their black maid, Mary, to help along the trip. The South is a very racial and hate filled place during this time and they experience a lot of trouble on their car ride. None the less they arrive in Florida ready to play on the beach and visit their cousins.
Upon arrival and further questioning they discover from their cousin Sarah that their mean, alcoholic dad has been up to no good. Then, on the way home, something horrible and tragic happens. (You'll have to read for yourself, it's quite shocking and I had no idea it was coming)

What I thought: This book was really, really good. I read it in two nights. It has a "The Help-like vibe", but I liked the story a little bit better. I give it an A.


No comments:

Post a Comment